Irish Seafood Pie
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound scallops
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped
leek or scallions
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Dry white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pastry: Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are size of small
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour
is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl.
- Gather pastry into a ball;
shape into flattened round. Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Filling: If scallops are large, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Cook and stir mushrooms
and leek in 2 tablespoons of the butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until
mushrooms are light brown and liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in skillet until hot.
and stir scallops over medium heat until white, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove with slotted
- Drain liquid from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup butter in skillet over low heat until melted.
- Stir in
flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half.
- Add enough wine to reserved
scallop liquid to measure 1/3 cup; stir into half and half mixture. Heat to boiling,
stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and scallops.
- Pour into ungreased shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Unwrap pastry and place on well-floured board.
- Roll dough 1 inch larger than
top of casserole, using floured stockinet-covered rolling pin.
- Cut out designs with
1-inch cookie cutter.
- Place pastry over top of casserole; turn edges under and flute.
- Mix egg yolk and water; brush over pastry.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Yield: 4 servings