Irish Soda Bread
This is delicious served warm, spread with butter and jam, or cooled.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until mixture
resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in raisins and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into round loaf, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Cut an X about 1/4 through center of loaf with floured knife.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with butter if desired.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.