Irish Soda Bread
This is delicious served warm, spread with butter and jam, or cooled.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until mixture
resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in raisins and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into round loaf, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Cut an X about 1/4 through center of loaf with floured knife.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with butter if desired.