Irish Stew with Mint Sour Cream
- 12 ounces lean, boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold beer or water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh mint
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine lamb, broth, salt, pepper, and bay
leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat off meat mixture.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots, thyme, and basil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl stir beer or water into flour. Stir into meat mixture. Cook and
stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- To serve, stir together the sour cream and mint.
- Dollop each serving with sour cream mixture.
Makes 4 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Combine sour cream and mint; cover and chill up to 24 hours.