Irish Stew with Mint Sour Cream
- 12 ounces lean, boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold beer or water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh mint
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine lamb, broth, salt, pepper, and bay
leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat off meat mixture.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots, thyme, and basil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl stir beer or water into flour. Stir into meat mixture. Cook and
stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- To serve, stir together the sour cream and mint.
- Dollop each serving with sour cream mixture.
Yield: 4 servings
Make-Ahead Tip: Combine sour cream and mint; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.