- 1 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed broth, undiluted
- 6 carrots, scraped and cut into 2-inch slices
- 12 small boiling onions
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- Combine first 6 ingredients; pour over beef in a shallow dish.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown beef in oil.
- Add broth and reserved marinade; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, onions and potatoes.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes.
Makes 2 1/2 quarts.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.