Irish Butter Cookies
These delicious treats pay subtle homage to the Irish tradition. Their secret?
A drop of whiskey in the icing.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Challenge European Style Butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Challenge European
Style Butter (salted), softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whiskey*
- 2 drops green food color
- Green cake decorating crystals
- Cookies: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and
- Beat in egg.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add flour
mixture into butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Divide dough in half. Roll
out half of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface to an approximately 12-inch
- Cut into shamrock shapes with floured cookie cutter.
- Place 1/2 inch apart
on parchment lined or unbuttered cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool
- Spread tops of cookies with buttercream icing and sprinkle with green
cake decorating crystals.
- Store in airtight container.
- Buttercream Icing: Cream butter.
- Add powdered sugar and blend well.
- Stir in whiskey
and beat well.
- Blend in food color.
- Add additional sugar or whiskey if necessary
for spreading consistency.
Makes 1/2 cup icing | Yield: about 4 to 5 dozen cookies
* 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla plus 2 1/2 teaspoons water could be substituted for
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Challenge Dairy.