- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 6 (about 3 pounds) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Place potatoes in a 3-quart pan. Cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil;
cook until fork-tender - 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, granulated sugar and ginger.
- Cool for 25 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Stir flour into potato mixture, forming a soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface;
form into a round. Divide in half. Place one half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap
and roll into an 11-inch circle, about 1/4-inch thick. Remove top sheet of plastic;
invert into an 8-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Add apples. Roll out remaining half of
dough and cover pie. Crimp edges of dough together; make 4 slits in top.
- Bake until lightly browned - about 25 minutes.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with brown sugar.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Cut a 2-inch circle in center of pastry. Remove circle; pour in brown sugar mixture.
Replace circle and return pie to oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes more.
- Cool for 30 minutes and serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.