Saint Clement's Cake
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Curd
- 1/2 pound butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- Juice of 2 or 3 lemons
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Slices of orange and lemon
- Crystallized candies
- Cake: Sift flour into a bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pan. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until very pale and creamy.
- Fold in flour and melted butter.
- Pour into an 8-inch greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Turn out on a rack. Cool.
- Cut cake into three layers.
- Sandwich with Lemon Curd.
- Pour Icing over cake so that top and sides are coated (do not spread). Leave to
- Decorate top of cake with strips of orange and lemon candy slices.
- Lemon Curd: Melt sugar and butter in a double boiler. When warm, stir in eggs
and lemon juice. Continue to stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and store in a dry jar in the refrigerator.
- Icing: Sift confectioners' sugar.
- Mix with lemon juice and a little water to make icing stiff enough to coat back of spoon.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.