- Pastry crust for 9-inch plate or tin
- 2 level tablespoons fresh white bread
- 2 level tablespoons black treacle
- 1 level tablespoon golden syrup or
3 level tablespoons golden syrup if omitting the black treacle
- 1/2 level teaspoon
finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Line plate or tin with pastry.
- Mix bread crumbs with other ingredients. Spread
over pastry, leaving a 1-inch edge, if using a plate. Moisten edges with cold water
and arrange remaining pastry in thin strips to make a criss-cross design. Press
firmly to edges and bake in the centre of a moderate oven (200 degrees C, 400 degrees
F or Gas No. 6) for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve with fresh cream, sour cream, natural yogurt or custard.
Shared with recipegoldmine.com from the kitchen of Sheelagh Ernst - Germany
Source: The Dairy Book of Home Cooking. I bought this from our milkman
years ago while I was still at college :-)