Wexford Christmas Cake
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1 2/3 cups white raisins
- 1 2/3 cups dark raisins
- 1 3/4 cups currants
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line 9-inch tube pan with brown paper, then grease
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Cream butter and ad brown sugar gradually, beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and the 1/3 cup whiskey. Blend well.
- Fold in fruit and nuts.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- Brush hot cake with 1/4 cup whiskey.
- Cool cake in pan.
- Remove from pan and remove paper.
- Brush with 1/4 cup whiskey.
- Wrap and store in foil.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.