Amaretti (Almond Macaroons)
- 1/2 pound blanched almonds
- 4 drops bitter almond oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Finely grind blanched almonds, in batches, using a hand grinder, blender or food processor.
- Combine almonds with almond oil, sugar and lightly beaten egg whites. Knead mixture into a firm dough.
- With moistened hands, form dough into 1-inch diameter balls (about 45 balls).
Place balls at least 1 inch apart on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment, using a second baking sheet if needed.
- Place baking sheet on bottom rack of oven and bake for about 55 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer baked cookies to a wire rack. Using a fine sieve, dust cookies with confectioners' sugar while warm.