Bagna Cauda (Hot Garlic and Anchovy Sauce)
This is a classic sauce from Piedmont, Italy which is for garlic lovers only. The name
means "hot bath" and it is served in the same way as fondue, in a pot in the
center of the table over a candle. Surround it with raw vegetables which are dipped into
the sauce. Serve with plenty of red wine and crusty bread.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1 cup olive oil
- Heat butter in the serving pot or a small saucepan and add garlic. Keep on low heat so that garlic does not brown.
- Add anchovies and stir well, then gradually add oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Place on the table over a candle.
- Serve with raw vegetables such as sliced peppers, celery, fennel, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and carrots.
- You can also serve with Italian breadsticks.