Bean Soup with Pasta (Pasta e Fagioli)
- 5 cups water
- 8 ounces dried great northern or navy beans (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped, or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 pound salt pork, chopped
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni (shells, bows or elbow macaroni)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat water and beans to boiling in Dutch oven; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Add onion, tomato, celery, garlic, salt pork, bouillon, salt and pepper to beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Do not boil beans as they will burst.
- Skim fat if necessary.
- Stir macaroni into soup. Cover and simmer until macaroni is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 5 servings