Bean and Tuna Salad
(Insalata di Fagioli e Tonno)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound dried white kidney, Great Northern or navy beans*
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground pepper
- 1 medium Spanish, Bermuda or red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained
- Snipped parsley
- Heat water and beans to boiling; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and
let stand for 1 hour.
- dd enough water to cover beans if necessary. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours (do not boil or beans
- Drain and cool.
- Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; pour over beans and onion in shallow glass
or plastic dish.
- Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour.
- Transfer bean mixture to serving platter with slotted spoon.
- Break tuna into chunks; arrange on bean mixture.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
* 2 (15 to 20 ounce) cans cannellini or other white beans, drained, can be substituted.