- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon aniseeds, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole unblanched almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until creamy.
- Beat in melted butter, aniseeds, and orange extract.
- Mix together flour and baking powder. Add to the batter and beat until well blended.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour. (The chilled dough can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Shape the dough into a 9 x 6-inch oval 1 1/2 inches thick and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool slightly.
- Ransfer the dough to a cutting board and slice diagonally into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Arrange, cut side down, on the baking sheet and return to the oven.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer the baked Italian Biscotti to wire racks to cool.