This comes from Italy, where these cookies are usually dunked in coffee. The name means
"twice cooked" in Italian, and this recipe leaves little doubt as to why.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. When the dough
becomes too stiff to stir, work with your hands until the ingredients are thoroughly
combined. Divide into 4 parts and roll each into a log about 1 inch thick.
- Place 2 logs on each of 2 baking sheets which have been covered with parchment or wax
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and leave the oven turned on.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices while still warm and return to the oven.
- Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 40 cookies.
Will keep for several weeks.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.