This comes from Italy, where these cookies are usually dunked in coffee. The
name means "twice cooked" in Italian, and this recipe leaves little doubt
as to why.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coarsely
chopped almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. When the dough
becomes too stiff to stir, work with your hands until the ingredients are thoroughly
combined. Divide into 4 parts and roll each into a log about 1 inch thick.
2 logs on each of 2 baking sheets which have been covered with parchment or wax
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, until lightly
- Remove from the oven and leave the oven turned on.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices while
still warm and return to the oven.
- Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp
and golden brown.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 40 cookies.
for several weeks.