Bistecche dei Poveri (Poor Man's Steaks)
In Sicily bistecche like these are served as an antipasto, a contorno, or, when a charcoal fire is going, as one of many dishes in a mixed grill.
- 3 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Start outdoor grill.
- Cut the eggplants into lengthwise slices about 1/4-inch thick. Throw away the outermost, curved slice, which is mostly skin. Salt eggplant and let stand.
- While the eggplants are standing, mix the olive oil with the oregano and chopped mint leaves.
- When the fire is ready, take as many slices as will fit on your grill, brush them on one side only with the flavored oil, and put them on to brown oiled-side down. While they are grilling, brush their top sides with more oil.
- When done on both sides, remove to a serving platter, brushing with just a bit more oil, and keep warm until all the slices are cooked.
- Serve hot.