Bistecche dei Poveri
(Poor Man's Steaks)
In Sicily bistecche like these are served as an antipasto, a contorno, or, when
a charcoal fire is going, as one of many dishes in a mixed grill.
- 3 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Start outdoor grill.
- Cut the eggplants into lengthwise slices about 1/4-inch
thick. Throw away the outermost, curved slice, which is mostly skin. Salt eggplant
and let stand.
- While the eggplants are standing, mix the olive oil with the oregano and chopped
- When the fire is ready, take as many slices as will fit on your grill, brush
them on one side only with the flavored oil, and put them on to brown oiled-side
down. While they are grilling, brush their top sides with more oil.
- When done on
both sides, remove to a serving platter, brushing with just a bit more oil, and
keep warm until all the slices are cooked.
- Serve hot.