Braised Veal Shanks, Milan Style (Osso Buco)
Serve with a sprinkling of Gremolada.
- 4 pounds veal or beef shanks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Gremolada (optional)
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Trim excess fat from veal shanks if necessary. Coat veal with flour. Cook veal
in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until brown on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except Gremolada. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until veal is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Arrange veal and vegetables on platter.
- Skim fat from broth; pour broth over veal.
- Serve with rice or hot cooked spaghetti.
- Gremolada: Mix parsley, garlic and lemon peel.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Italian Recipes