Calcionetti (Italian Filled Cookies)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 can chick peas
- 1/2 pound dried chestnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) milk chocolate bar, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine flour, vegetable oil, water and red wine. Mix until smooth. Dough will be soft. Roll dough paper thin and cut into 3-inch squares.
- For the filling, drain the chick peas, remove skin and mash with a fork. (Mixture does not have to be smooth.) Place the dried chestnuts in a pot of boiling water and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool, peel and mash with a fork until texture is like cream of wheat. Add chocolate, sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and extract.
- Put about 1 tablespoon filling on each dough square. Fold over and pinch together sides like a ravioli.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan until it reaches about 375 degrees. Fry cookies in several batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Cool. Drizzle honey over just before serving.
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen
Nutrition values per serving: 142 calories, 6 g fat, 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein, 2 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium