Caponata (Aubergine Salad)
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup large green olives
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle cubes of eggplant with salt and leave them in a colander to drain for
- Dry them thoroughly on paper towels. Heat plenty of olive oil in a skillet and
fry the eggplant until they are brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry celery in the same oil as the eggplant and, when brown, remove from the pan.
Add onion and cook until soft. Add tomatoes and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, return the eggplant and celery to the pan, and simmer
another 5 minutes. You may can this or serve it cold after making.
- To can, pour into glass jars, seal and boil for 20 minutes. It will keep for