A classic Italian vegetarian sub sandwich is a spring and summer favorite of ours. Creamy mozzarella, lush ripe tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil and basil are the basics of this sandwich.
Yield: 1 sandwich
- 1 Italian sub roll (or similar)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 thick slices fresh mozzarella (buffalo, if possible)
- Using a serrated knife, slice a sub roll in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle the inside with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Add basil and tomato to one side and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh mozzarella and close sandwich.
- Top the tomatoes with mozzarella.
It is best to assemble this sandwich just before eating since some moisture from the cheese and tomato will seep into the bread as it sits.
Don't have balsamic glaze on hand? You can use regular balsamic vinegar or make some by adding 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup apple juice and boiling it down until it reduces into a thick syrup.