Cassata Siciliana (Cannoli Cake)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups plus
2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners'
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons
candied lemon peels, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons candied orange peels, finely
- 4 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cold espresso coffee
- 1/2 pound cold butter, cut into cubes
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 2 tablespoons of butter together.
Using an electric mixer fitted with a wire whip, combine the eggs and sugar
together. Beat on medium-high speed for about 8 minutes, or until the mixture
is pale yellow, thick and has tripled in volume.
- With the machine running, slowly add the heated milk and butter.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Fold
the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix thoroughly, so that there are
no lumps and the mixture is smooth. Fold in the vanilla extract.
- Grease a half sheet pan (13 x 18 x 1-inch pan) with 2 teaspoons of butter.
Sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake
for about 25 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when touched. Cool for
about 2 minutes.
- Using a thin knife, loosen the edges of the cake and flip onto a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons
rum. Mix well. Add 2 tablespoons each of the candied citrus and 2 tablespoons
of the nuts. Mix well. Fold the whipped cream into the mixture. Mix well.
- Cut the cake lengthwise into 4 equal pieces. Trim the edges of the cake
to fit a 10-inch loaf pan. Brush the tops of each cake with the orange liqueur.
Line the bottom of the loaf pan with parchment paper. Place one piece of the
cake on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese filling evenly over the piece of cake. Repeat the
layering with the remaining cake and cheese filling. Cover with plastic wrap
and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and unmold the cake. Place the cake on a wire
rack with a sheet pan underneath. Spread the top and sides of the cake with
the sweetened whipped cream. Place the cake in the refrigerator and chill for
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add the chocolate and coffee. Stir until
the chocolate is melted. Stir in the half pound of butter and remaining tablespoon
of rum. Mix well. Cool the mixture until it is spreadable.
- Pour the chocolate frosting over the entire cake. Place the cake back in
the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours, until the cake sets. Remove the cake
from the refrigerator. Using a long spatula, carefully lift the cake from the
rack and place on a serving plate. Garnish with a sprinkle of the remaining
nuts and candied citrus.
- Slice and serve.
Yield: 10 servings
Per serving: 1,002 calories; 58 g fat (34 g saturated fat; 52 percent calories
from fat); 108 g carbohydrates; 287 mg cholesterol; 487 mg sodium; 16 g protein;
4 g fiber
Posted by Chefbuzzbuzz at Recipe Goldmine 8/27/2001 6:46 am.