This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cheese and Rice Casserole
(Riso e Formaggio)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat water, rice, salt, mustard, red pepper sauce and pepper to boiling, stirring
once or twice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 14 minutes, without lifting cover or
- Remove from heat. Fluff rice lightly with fork; cover and let steam for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lay half each of the rice, onion, green pepper and mozzarella cheese in greased
11 x 7-inch baking dish; repeat layers.
- Mix eggs and milk; pour over rice mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. At
this point, the casserole can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees F until set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares.
Yields 8 servings.