Chicken Rolls Saltimbocca
Here is a recipe that I make frequently for company.
- 6 large split boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 6 wafer-thin slices prosciutto
- 6 slices Italian fontina, Jarlsberg or Samsoe cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth or wine
- Bone and skin the chicken breasts. Lay each chicken breast out flat and pound
lightly between 2 sheets of wax paper to achieve an equal thickness. Cover each
chicken breast with a slice of ham and one of cheese. Roll up and secure with a
- Mix together the crumbs, salt, pepper, and cheese in a bowl. Dip the rolled breasts
in egg and then in a bread-crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet heat oil and butter and brown chicken rolls, turning to cook
all sides. Transfer to a baking dish. Pour stock and vermouth into the skillet and
deglaze pan; pour over chicken. If desired, refrigerate at this point until ready
to finish cooking.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or
until cooked through.
Makes 6 servings.
Posted by liz at Recipe Goldmine 6/11/01 9:49:47 pm
Source: Lou Seibert Pappas