- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoon basil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, or to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 5 fresh seeded tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or equal amounts veal or peeled shrimp)
- 1/2 pound chopped mushrooms
- Heat thin layer of olive oil in large sauté pan. Sauté onion and garlic for about 3 minutes; add celery. Sauté for 5 minutes more then add the basil and marjoram. Cook for 3 minutes; add tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer for 30 minutes on lowest heat setting.
- In the meantime, season chicken (or veal) with salt and pepper.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a skillet and sauté until just browned. (If using shrimp do not saute. Just add to tomato mixture). Add meat to tomato mixture and cook until no longer pink, about 20 minutes for chicken or veal, 10 minutes for shrimp.
- Add mushrooms before serving and heat through.
- Serve over pasta.
Serves four to five.
Nutrition values per serving (with chicken): 323 calories, 8 g fat, 9 g carbohydrates,
2 g fiber, 45 g protein, 105 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium