- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 14 ladyfingers
- 1 cup strong rich coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon Cognac
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened
- Combine egg yolks and water in heavy saucepan. Cook over very low heat, whisking
constantly, until mixture reaches 160 degrees F, about 15 minutes.
- Cool quickly
in cold water bath or in freezer. Stir mascarpone into yolks.
- Combine 4 egg whites, sugar and salt in top of double boiler. Cook over very
low heat, beating with hand-held mixer on medium speed or with whisk until whites
hold soft peaks and temperature reaches 160 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- Stir 1/4
of whites into egg yolk mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- To assemble, arrange ladyfingers in single layer on piece of heavy-duty foil;
slightly turn up foil edges to make a tray. (You also can do this on a large platter.)
Combine coffee and Cognac; drizzle evenly over ladyfingers. Arrange half of ladyfingers
in single layer in glass or souffle dish, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 to
4 inches deep. Fill in any spaces with parts of ladyfingers.
- Cover ladyfinger layer with half of mascarpone mixture. Top with remaining ladyfingers
and remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days
- Sprinkle cocoa through fine sieve over
- Serve chilled.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 3, 2001.