Cuccidati (Italian Fig/Date Bar Cookies)
Note: You have to make the filling 3 days ahead.
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Rind of 1 orange
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 string of figs
- 8 ounces raisins
- 8 ounces brown sugar
- 1 pound walnuts
- 1 pound dates
- 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- Orange juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Crust: In large bowl, cream together first 3 ingredients. Add orange juice
and orange rind.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture
along with vanilla.
- Filling: Prepare several days ahead of time. In a food grinder, grind figs
and raisins. In large saucepan, simmer raisins and figs with brown sugar and
water for 15 minutes. Grind walnuts, dates, and orange. Stir into hot mixture
along with cinnamon, black pepper, and whiskey. Remove from stove, mix well,
cover, and let mellow for 3 days. Note: This recipe makes enough filling for
2 batches of crust and can be divided and frozen for up to six months.
- Roll dough into 3-inch wide strips on pastry cloth. Lay filling down the
center and wrap dough to form a long "sausage-like" cookie. Roll back
and forth until crust seems very thin. Cut in diagonal about every 1 1/2 inches.
Place on cookie sheet close together and bake for 10-13 minutes. Cookies should
be barely brown. Cool and store in tins 5 days, then frost.
- Frosting: In medium bowl, mix together margarine and powdered sugar until
well blended. Add enough juice to make a thick glaze. Top cookies with a thin
coat. Let frosting dry a couple of hours then store in tins as follows.
- To Store: Line tins with foil, place a layer of cookies, then a layer of
wax paper (NOT plastic wrap). Keep repeating, ending with foil and then the
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 14, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.