Easy Veal Parmesan
This is excellent, easy and quick to prepare.
- 1 1/2 cups dry, unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh parsley and basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 veal scallops
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, salt and
pepper in a pie plate. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Set aside.
- On a plate, spread the all-purpose flour. Coat the veal scallops with the flour
and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then coat with the bread crumb
mixture, patting with your fingers to make the crumbs adhere.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and sauté
until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs, turn the cutlets and cook, 2
to 3 minutes more, adding a little more oil if the pan looks dry. Remove veal scallops
to a plate and blot with paper towels.
- Lightly oil a baking pan or shallow baking dish. Spoon into the pan 1/2 cup of
the tomato sauce. Arrange the veal scallops over the sauce, slightly overlapping
them. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Cover with the remaining
tomato sauce. Top with the mozzarella slices and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes.
If you wish to brown the top, remove the foil and run the dish briefly under a broiler.
Yield: 4 servings
From the kitchen of Millie Curry.
Adapted by Marie Ostrosky