Eggplant under Oil
- Slice 4 long, thin, unpeeled (Oriental) eggplants (or 3 small regular eggplants)
about 1/4 inch thin lengthwise. Put into a bowl with a LOT of kosher salt (enough
to cover). Let set for 4 hours.
- Remove each slice eggplant from the bowl and lay onto a rack in a roasting pan
(DO NOT RINSE). Lay a length of cheesecloth over the eggplant. Cover two bricks
with aluminum foil and lay the bricks over the eggplant to weigh it down. Let set
- Using a 1-quart clear glass jar, put about 4 slices eggplant into the jar. Layering,
add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, a couple thin slices garlic, a couple herbal
flowers (such as thyme or rosemary), a couple small thin peppers, and a couple fresh
mint leaves. Continue layering, and, when near the top, pour olive oil over to cover.
Put the lid on an shake a few times. You may need to add a few more slices eggplant
and some more olive oil.
- Store in the refrigerator. This will keep for at least a couple months.
- To serve as an antipasto, put a few fresh green salad leaves on a plate and top
with 2 or 3 slices eggplant.