Frosted Italian Anise Bread
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups flour, sifted, divided
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine the yeast, 1 cup of flour and anise seeds.
- Heat milk, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan until just warm. Stir to melt.
- Add heated liquid to flour mixture. Add egg, lemon peel and juice on low speed
for a minute, scraping sides constantly. Beat for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Stir in remaining flour by hand to make a soft dough.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes on a floured board until
smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn once to grease, over and
let rise in a warm place, 20-40 minutes.
- Punch down and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into a round loaf, cover and let rise until double (about 45 minutes) in
a greased pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in a preheated 375 degrees F oven until done.
- Frosting: Stir all frosting ingredients together until smooth and spread on the