- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups sliced carrots, cut 1/4-inch thick
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups red and green bell peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- In a 6- to 8-quart saucepot, combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, pickling spice
and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 4 minutes.
- Add vegetables, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are hot, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately fill hot quart or pint jars with mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully run a
nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles.
- Wipe jar tops and threads clean.
- Place hot lids on jar and screw bands on firmly but not
to tight (about finger tip tight) Process quarts or pints in boiling water canner
for 15 minutes.
Makes 3 quarts or 5 to 6 pints
Boil jars for 10 minutes in a canning kettle large enough to hold 6 or
7 jars and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep jars in kettle
till ready to use. Remove jars one at a time and fill with pickles or jam. (You
will find that a jar lifter is handy. Call Ball or Kerr Jars for ordering.) Return
water in kettle to a boil put jars back into the kettle of boiling water and for
pickles only start to time 10 minutes. Canning kettle should have a rack in the
bottom for jars. The jars should not sit on the kettle bottom.