- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Boiling salted water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well; let cool. Squeeze spinach
very dry. Chop spinach very fine; place in medium bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese.
Add eggs; mix well. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons of the flour,
the salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir to mix very well. Refrigerate covered 1 hour.
- Spread remaining 1 cup flour in shallow baking pan. Press a heaping tablespoonful
of spinach mixture between spoon and hand to form oval gnocchi; place on flour.
Repeat until all spinach mixture is used. Roll gnocchi lightly in flour to coat
evenly. Discard excess flour. Slip 8 to 12 gnocchi into large kettle of boiling
salted water; reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered until gnocchi are slightly puffed
and medium-firm to the touch, about 5 minutes.
- Remove gnocchi with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate; then transfer immediately
to greased flameproof shallow baking dish. Reheat water to boiling. Continue cooking
and draining gnocchi in batches until all have been cooked. arrange gnocchi so that
they are in single layer in baking dish. Heat broiler. Melt butter in small saucepan.
Spoon butter over gnocchi; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Broil
gnocchi 5 inches from heat source, until cheese topping is light brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Makes 24 gnocchi.