Italian Almond Cake
This elegant and rich dessert is easy with a food processor.
- 1 pound (16 ounces) almond paste*
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch, Amaretto, or Drambuie (or a combination of Amaretto and Drambuie)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9- or 10-inch springform pan.
- In a food processor, whirl almond paste with sugar until blended to the consistency
of sand. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add softened butter; then add eggs one by one
beating after each addition. Add Kirsch and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Mix into almond mixture. Do
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 - 60 minutes or until knife comes out with just
a few crumbs attached (not wet). Cool in pan. Remove sides of springform pan and
transfer to a serving platter.
- Optional: Sprinkle top with powdered sugar before serving.
- Recipe can be halved and baked in a 9-inch layer cake pan. Baking time will vary.
Check after 40 minutes.
Editor's Note: If buying supermarket grade almond paste, I recommend Odense
brand. It comes in a 7-ounce roll. I do not recommend Betty Crocker's. Professional
quality almond paste is preferable to grocery store brand.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001