Italian Bocconotti Cookies
Ciao bella! These sweet Italian Bocconotti Cookies are mini pastry-like cookies
filled with chocolate, jam and nuts and ready in 1 hour.
- 1 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup cherry, grape or strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup
- 2 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, very finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, egg, egg yolks, baking soda and lemon
peel. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture comes together
and begins to form a wet dough. (Or mix with electric mixer using dough hook attachment.)
Gather dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate while making filling.
- In small bowl, mix jam, almonds and chocolate until well combined.
- With floured hands, shape teaspoonsful of dough into about 24 balls; flatten
each ball into a round. Press 1 round on bottom and up side of ungreased mini muffin
cup. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling into cup. Top with a second round; seal edges. Repeat
with remaining dough rounds and filling.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm or cool.
Prep Time 30 min | Total Time 60 min | Servings 12
The filling for these cookies can vary, so feel free to get creative. Try different
flavors of jam or marmalade.
Cinnamon is also used in some regions of Italy in this type of cookie, so if
you like cinnamon, add 1/2 teaspoon to the dough.
If you have individual mini tart tins (about 1 3/4 inch in diameter), those can
be used instead of mini muffin cups. Place the tins on a cookie sheet for baking.
Recipe by Arlene Cummings
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Betty Crocker.