Italian Butter Cookies
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten (save whites)
- 2 cups butter
- 1 ounce whiskey
- Mix flour and sugar in large bowl. Make a well in flour mixture. Slice butter
and place in well. Sprinkle lemon zest over this. Add whiskey and beaten egg yolks.
Start kneading with your hands until you have a large very cohesive ball. This will
take a while. When all mixed, roll out to medium thickness. Flour board and rolling
pin liberally. Cut with cookie cutters.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Brush froth on cookies.
- Bake until cookies just start to turn golden at the edges (approximately 10 minutes) at 350 degrees F. They
cook fast, so watch closely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar while still hot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.