Italian Butter Cookies
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten (save whites)
- 2 cups butter
- 1 ounce whiskey
- Mix flour and sugar in large bowl. Make a well in flour mixture. Slice butter
and place in well. Sprinkle lemon zest over this. Add whiskey and beaten egg yolks.
Start kneading with your hands until you have a large very cohesive ball. This will
take a while. When all mixed, roll out to medium thickness. Flour board and rolling
pin liberally. Cut with cookie cutters.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Brush froth on cookies.
- Bake until cookies just start to turn golden at the edges (approximately 10 minutes) at 350 degrees F. They
cook fast, so watch closely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar while still hot.