Italian Cinnamon Sticks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy; gradually add flour, mixing until
well blended. Shape dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; place one portion between 2 sheets of lightly floured wax
paper, and roll into a 10-inch square (about 1/8 inch thick). Brush with egg, and
sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Cut into 5 x 1/2-inch strips; twist strips,
and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough and sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.