Italian Love Knots
- 1 pound (2 cups) margarine (do not use low-fat spread)
- 3 cups (1 1/2 pounds) granulatedsugar
- 16 cups (5 1/2 pound) flour
- 3 ounces anise extract (not anise oil), or orange extract, or juice of one orange and grated rind
- 3/4 cup milk
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond or lemon extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup water, heated in microwave or on stovetop
- Dough: If margarine is coming directly from the refrigerator, microwave a little until soft.
- Cream margarine and sugar together for a minute or two.
- Add milk, eggs, orange (if using), baking powder and flour. The dough should
be soft but not sticky.
- On lightly floured board, divide into small (2-inch) balls, then roll into pencils
(the size of your finger) and tie into knot.
- Put on cookie sheets with parchment paper liner.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until light brown, maybe 5 to 7 minutes. Watch carefully
to keep from burning.
- Apply icing when cool.
- Icing: Mix together all but the water. Add water gradually to desired thickness.
Spread on cookies.
Recipe may be halved.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 12/6/2001 11:32 pm
Source: Recipe by Paul Donatelli - from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette August 03, 2000
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Italian Recipes