Italian Meat Sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG, if desired
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Sauté onion in hot oil until almost tender.
- Add meat and garlic; brown lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until sauce
is nice and thick, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over hot spaghetti.
Makes 6 servings.
You can omit the ground beef. Brown and cook Italian sausage and meatballs.
Add to the sauce about the last 30 minutes of cooking until they are well heated