Italian Seed Cookies
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg white (divided)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
teaspoon vanilla extract
Toasted sesame seeds*
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl with electric mixer, blend shortening, sugar, 3 eggs, flour, baking
powder, salt and vanilla extract.
- Break dough off in small balls and roll them in
your palms to make oval logs about 2 to 3 inches long.
- In separate bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Dip logs into egg white and roll
in sesame seeds until covered.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies
* Look for toasted sesame seeds in the Asian food section of stores. Two 3.75-ounce
jars are plenty. To toast your own sesame seeds, place in a dry skillet over medium
heat. Toast until seeds turn light brown, shaking the pan to keep the seeds from