Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, finely grated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (zest is optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ricotta, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on low speed.
- Slowly add the flour and baking soda to the mixture. Once dry ingredients are incorporated, add the lemon peel.
- Spoon teaspoon-size dough balls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet halfway through.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cookie rack.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, juice and zest (optional). Brush on top of the cookies when cooled.
Adding ricotta cheese to cookies ensures that they stay soft and fluffy.
Photo credit: htomren on VisualHunt.com