Linguine with White Clam Sauce
(Linguini con Vongole Bianco)
Serve this dish from Northern Italy with a green salad tossed with a sharp vinaigrette dressing.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams (with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in butter in 2-quart saucepan until onion is tender;
stir in flour. Add clams, 1/2 teaspoon salt, basil and pepper. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt to rapidly boiling water in Dutch oven. Add linguine gradually
so that water continues to boil. If linguine strands are left whole, place one end
in water; as they soften, gradually coil them into water. Boil uncovered, stirring
occasionally, just until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Test by cutting several strands
with fork against side of Dutch oven.
- Drain quickly in colander or sieve.
- Add parsley to clam sauce.
- Serve sauce over hot linguine; sprinkle with cheese.
Yields 5 or 6 servings.