Nana's Spinach and Sausage Pies
This heavy dish is great for dinner OR brunch, warm OR cold (family recipe).
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 6 large eggs
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeeze dry or 1 pound fresh salad spinach leaves, stemmed
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 1/2 ounces (1/2 container) ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 to 11 ounces piecrust mix or 2 (9-inch) deep dish pie crusts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Crumble sausage in a medium skillet and brown meat over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- If using fresh spinach, bring a large pot of water to a boil and put spinach in water. Boil 1 minute and drain; squeeze dry.
- Separate 1 egg. Combine 5 eggs with 1 egg white, sausage, spinach mozzarella, ricotta and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare pie crust mix if using. Lay 1 pie crust in pie pan and spoon mixture into it. Lay another crust on top and flute with a stand-up edge. Carefully cut a 2-inch circle out of the top crust.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush on top of pie. (Can decorate with scraps of dough.)
- Bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes until golden and bubbly. Check crust after 1 hour and put foil on edges to prevent over-browning.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and cut OR chill uncovered until cold; cover and refrigerate until serving cold.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com.