This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Orange Balls (Pallottole d'Aranci)
- 6 large oranges, the peel only, cut into strips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts, finely chopped
- Soak the orange peel strips in cold water for 24 hours.
- Drain; place the peel in a saucepan and cover the strips with cold water.
Bring the water to a boil. Cook the strips for about 10 minutes, or until they
are soft. drain them.
- Chop the orange peel fine and mix it with the granulated sugar in a
saucepan. Stir the mixture slowly over low heat until the sugar dissolves,
then continue to cook it for about 10 minutes, or until it reaches the
soft-ball stage on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Cool the mixture.
- Shape it into balls the size of small walnuts.
- Roll the balls in the superfine sugar and then in the chopped nuts.