Pana Peppate (Peppatile)
These cookies will be hard and chewy.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 pound honey
- 1 pound whole almonds, toasted *
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Rind of one orange, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* Toast in a single layer at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Watch carefully
so they do not burn.
- Mix flour and nuts. Add pepper, cloves, cinnamon, orange rind and baking powder.
- Put honey (bottle and all) into hot water to liquefy. (Can put into microwave, without
- Mix honey with other ingredients. Shape dough into 4 flat sausage-shaped
- Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and
immediately slice very thin, about 1/4 to 1/8 inches thick. (Use thick pot holder,
or wear gloves, if you have to).
- While slicing one, store the others in turned-off
oven to keep warm.
These keep well. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in airtight containers.
Dough can be shaped into more than four loaves if you want to make them for gift-giving
or to make them easier to handle.