Pana Peppate (Peppatile)
These cookies will be hard and chewy.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 pound honey
- 1 pound whole almonds, toasted *
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Rind of one orange, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* Toast in a single layer at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Mix flour and nuts. Add pepper, cloves, cinnamon, orange rind and baking powder.
- Put honey (bottle and all) into hot water to liquefy. (Can put into microwave, without the cap.)
- Mix honey with other ingredients. Shape dough into 4 flat sausage-shaped loaves.
- Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately slice very thin, about 1/4 to 1/8 inches thick.
(Use thick pot holder, or wear gloves, if you have to).
- While slicing one, store the others in turned-off oven to keep warm.
These keep well. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in airtight containers.
Dough can be shaped into more than four loaves if you want to make them
for gift-giving or to make them easier to handle.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Italian Recipes