Papa Vento's Sicilian Chicken
Like Chicken Parmesan, my father made this for us all the time while we were
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil (+ more for frying)
- 1 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- Ground black pepper
- 6 large
slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 large can (32 ounces) crushed tomatoes (regular or
- 1 medium onion
- Pound out chicken breasts between wax paper to 1/2-inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. In another shallow
bowl, pour 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Dip chicken breasts first in olive oil, letting excess
drip off, and then press into breadcrumb mixture. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in
a large skillet over medium / low heat. Sauté chicken breasts until golden on both
- Arrange chicken breasts on bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Pour crushed
tomatoes evenly over chicken. Halve the onion and “sliver” cut it, sprinkling
them on top of the tomatoes (quantity depends on your taste ). Lay 1 piece of cheese
over each chicken breast and bake for 30 minutes until cheese starts to turn golden
and sauce is bubbly.
My father makes this with pounded round steak and non-seasoned
tomatoes but we love this version. You can make it either way and make up your own
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com.