Pasta with Three Cheeses
(Pasta al Tre Formaggi)
You can use Fontina cheese for a more pronounced flavor.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Fontina or mozzarella
cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup
grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 cups uncooked egg noodles (10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons
dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend
in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth
and bubbly; remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring
constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheeses; keep warm over low heat.
- Cook noodles as directed; drain. Alternate layers of noodles and cheese mixture
in ungreased 2-quart casserole. Stir bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon butter over medium
heat until crumbs are toasted; sprinkle over noodles.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees
F until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Yields 8 servings.