Pasta with Three Cheeses
(Pasta al Tre Formaggi)
You can use Fontina cheese for a more pronounced flavor.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Fontina or mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 cups (10 ounces) uncooked egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend
in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth
and bubbly; remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring
constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheeses; keep warm over low heat.
- Cook noodles as directed; drain. Alternate layers of noodles and cheese mixture
in ungreased 2-quart casserole. Stir bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon butter over medium
heat until crumbs are toasted; sprinkle over noodles.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings