Pavia is a small but very old city to the south of Milan, and this soup is its specialty.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices firm, coarse-textured bread (like Italian, shepherd or French - hard crust)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and turn off.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the bread slices on both sides until golden brown.
- Divide among 6 soup bowls. Place bowls in oven.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil, adding sale if necessary.
- Break an egg onto each slice of bread in the bowls and pour the boiling broth over it. Add pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parmesan and garnish with chopped parsley and a little grated nutmeg if desired and serve.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com