Penne Rigate with Meat Sauce Peperonata
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 1/2 cups (28 ounce can) whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups (15 ounce can) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces penne rigate (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained, chopped or fresh peppers
- Cook meat and onion. Drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, red pepper and seasonings. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package; drain.
- Toss pasta with meat sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve with fresh bread and a salad.
Yield: 6 servings