Genoa is the home of pesto since basil flourishes all over Liguria. This version can be made without the pine nuts, also.
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, freshly-grated
- 1/3 cup Pecorino, freshly-grated
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Put basil, garlic, pine nuts and cheeses in a blender; add a dash of olive oil to make it run more easily and then, with the motor running, add remaining oil slowly until you have a thick cream. Add salt to taste.
- If serving the pesto with pasta or in minestrone, thin it a little first with water from the pasta or some of the
liquid from the soup.