Pizza Rustica (Italian Easter Pie)
- 2 cups cooked, smoked ham, cubed
- 2 cups cooked Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, uncooked
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups hot tap water
- Filling: Mix all chopped ingredients in large bowl. Place uncooked eggs and Ricotta
cheese in blender container and mix on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add to the
chopped ingredients and combine well.
- Crust: Place flour and salt in large bowl. Combine hot water, oil and yeast in
measuring cup with a fork. Add to flour and mix well. If dough is dry, add water
as necessary. If dough is too sticky, add flour, one tablespoon at a time. Knead
until dough forms ball. Leave in the bowl in warm place to rise until double in
volume. Punch down before rolling.
- Divide dough in half and roll to fit a large pie pan or 15-inch pizza pan. Place
one circle on bottom of pan. Top with the filling, pressing out all air pockets.
The pie will look too full. Top with remaining dough. Trim around pan with knife
leaving about 1 inch extra all around. Press edges to seal and tuck sealed edge
in all around pan. Prick top with fork several times to make air holes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to
350 degrees F and bake an additional 30 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.