Polenta and Sausage
- 3 1/2 cups very hot tap water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- Combine water, cornmeal and salt in microwave-safe casserole; stir well. Cover
tightly with plastic wrap; vent one corner. Microwave at full power (100%) for 10
- Carefully remove plastic wrap. Stir. Cover with paper toweling. Microwave 10
minutes, stirring twice. Pour into greased 10-inch pie plate; cool. Refrigerate
until firm, 1 hour.
- Sauté sausage, onion and garlic in skillet until sausage is no longer pink, about
8 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook, breaking up tomatoes, for 14 minutes, until slightly
- Heat broiler. Cut polenta into 4 wedges. Place on broiler pan. Broil 1 minute
per side or until lightly browned. Place on serving platter. Pour sauce over and
Cook sliced onions until browned and caramelized; flavor with
rosemary. Place on top of polenta wedges, sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese
and run under broiler to melt.
Sauté chopped zucchini briefly; add to your favorite spaghetti sauce.